Friday, July 4, 2008

distribution

It's time to change my distribution. I'm sick of ubuntu because it starts too many things that I don't want started. These are my options:

Debian:
I know I can get it working well on my desktop
It boots slowly

Gentoo:
It boots super quick
I tend to make it not work after a few days when ever I install it because I forget that I don't know anything about linux

Slackware:
This has a similar appeal as Gentoo, but is much more like debian. I'm not sure why I wouldn't just want to go with debian though.

Redhat/Suse:
I don't like them.

Small mystery distro:
This one boots super quick and can do everything. I will definitely use it when I find it.

Windows virtualization:
I think i might want to but I'll need to think about it. I don't think I would be comfortable with using the software because I really hate microsoft, but then I've already paid for it when I purchased my laptop and I've bought copies of office and whatnot in the past. However, I tend to think this is very different from actually using the software - sort of like I've been reincarnated. Given this, i'm also inclined to write all my matlab software to work only on linux, but this is impractical because the computers I need to use it on, or at least some of it, are windows and there is very little chance of my negotiating a switch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.