Monday, September 24, 2007

What to do with this

I would like to create a mildly useful blog but this will probably not be the case.

Who am I?
I just graduated from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and I'm currently a grad student at the University of California, Davis.

Insurance companietheys and cars:
On my way out here, some anonymous dude with a big truck hit me on the highway and totaled my car (it was a 2002 hyundai accent). I had minimal coverage so my insurance company wasn't interested in being helpful and essentially suggested that I should get better coverage next time. However, based on what anonymous dude's insurance company appraised my car for, I was already paying more than it was worth annually for my minimal coverage. I think I was going to get screwed regardless of how much insurance I had and now believe that insurance is only really worth having if you can afford to drive a car expensive enough to dissuade the insurance companies from totaling it. I don't have a car now.

How this relates to mountain biking:
So, the only reason I wanted a car was to carry my bike to the trail head. So, because I no longer have a car, I joined the UCD cycling team to increase my chances of getting rides to trails. The strategy worked. However, the cycling team races so I started trying to race as well. I'm not very good but it is fun. So far, I've come in 15th out of 17. I expect to maintain that performance level throughout the collegiate racing season (begins next weekend in Nevada). I'd like to post pictures of places I go because some of the trails I've been on so far are extraordinary but I'm really bad about bringing cameras places so it will probably not actually happen.

What else to do with the space:
The other things I'd like to do with this involve posting some science stuff and commenting on things. I'll do this later, though.

No comments: